Sleep apnea is a serious, potentially life-threatening condition that can seriously impact your quality of life. It can be treated at Neal C. Johnson DMD in Billings.
Untreated sleep apnea can cause high blood pressure and other types of heart disease. These conditions, in turn, can bring about a fatal stroke or heart attack. According to the Centers for Disease Control, cardiovascular disease is the number one cause of death in the United States.
The Three Types of Sleep Apnea
There are three different sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea describes a condition where your throat muscles relax.
- Central sleep apnea occurs when your brain doesn’t send proper signals to control your breathing.
- Complex sleep apnea is a combination of the two previously listed.
Oral appliance therapy (OAT) can be an effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea. It is an alternative to CPAP, which many patients find uncomfortable.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) has approved OAT in the following circumstances:
- As a first-line treatment for patients with mild to moderate OSA
- As a first-line treatment for patients with severe OSA who are unable to use CPAP devices
- As a combination: OAT and CPAP together
If you think you may have a form of sleep apnea talk to your physician, who may recommend a sleep study. An accurate diagnosis is the essential first step. At Neal C. Johnson DMD in Billings we treat sleep apnea with oral appliance therapy. Patients from Lockwood, Billings Heights, and Laurel come to us for treatment, as well as for complete family dentistry. Call for an appointment today!
Contact Neal C. Johnson DMD:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):